Monday, July 12, 2010

Pesto


As with most homemade food, fresh pesto tastes so much better than anything you get out of a bottle. It's fast, easy and requires no cooking. Too bad my photo doesn't really do it justice...

(Recipe is from "The Complete Book of Sauces," by Sallie Williams)

Yields 1 1/2 cups

2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 pine nuts
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste (I don't add any salt, because the parmesan adds plenty of flavor)

If you care about keeping your pesto staying a bright green, follow this tip

Place all ingredients in food processor and blend till smooth, occasionally stopping to scrape the sides. Toss with cooked pasta and serve immediately or store refriderated in a tightly sealed jar.

Personal note: I prefer my pesto slightly chunky, vs runny. So I start with 1/4 cup of olive oil and then slowly add more till I've reached the consistency I like (a little less than what the recipe recommends). I also like a little more basil. The recipe is extremely flexible, so as long as you have extra ingredients on hand, it's easy to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment