Saturday, January 15, 2011

"Brioche" (non-authentic bread machine version)

I always feel like I'm cheating when using my bread machine. In this case, all it's doing is making the dough, but since I'm not doing the physical labor, I feel inferior.

This recipe came with my bread machine. While it's called "brioche," and it's got eggs and tastes great, it's not what I'd call authentic. It's still a great recipe, but if you're expecting the golden yellow of challah inside, or that very distinct texture, this won't have that. This gives you nice dense, soft bread, similar to dinner rolls.

Makes 12
Place the ingredients in the following order in your bread machine (wet to dry):
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
2.5 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt (I suggest slightly more if you use unsalted butter)
1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1 tsp active dry yeast

Egg Glaze:
1 egg, beaten
4 tsp water

-Set to dough setting. My machine takes an hour and 45 min.
-Divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls and allow to rest for 20 min, covered with plastic wrap
-Place in greased brioche cups, or muffin tins. Brush with egg glaze
-Bake for 15 minute or until till tops are golden brown

No comments:

Post a Comment