Sunday, March 11, 2012

Contest Entry: Egg Nest

No, the photo isn't blurry, the yarn is extra fuzzy and the contrast with the green glitter yarn is what makes it look out of focus.

I spent Saturday creating my entry for the Martha Stewart Crafts challenge and here it is! The challenge was to make anything using her brand of yarn. I sewed together a coil of Mambo yarn for the nest, used Glitter Eyelash for the grass, and Roving Wool for the eggs. I actually tried to write down the crochet pattern for first time. Normally, I freehand all my yarn creations. If anyone's willing try out my instructions, I'd love some feedback as to whether or not it works:

Hooks: J/10 6mm
G/6 4.25mm (for decreasing)
stitch marker
yarn needle
filling (I used polyester fiber fill)

Egg:
Using the J/10 hook, ch 6, slip stitch in first ch to form a circle. Place a marker at the start to mark your rounds.
Round 1: 2 SC in each st around (increasing to 12 sc total)
Round 2: SC around (12 Sc)
Round 3: *Sc in first stitch, 2 Sc in 2nd stitch* Repeat from * till end of round (increasing every other stitch, 18 total)
Round 4: SC around (18 Sc)
Round 5: *Sc in first 2 stitches, 2 Sc in 3rd stitch* Repeat from * till end of round (increasing every 2 stitches, 24 total)

Switch to the smaller hook to begin decrease

Round 6: *Sc in first 2 stitches, decrease next* Repeat from * till end of round (18)
Round 7: *Sc in first stitch, decrease 2nd* Repeat from * till end of round (12)

Start stuffing egg with filler

Round 8: Decrease every stitch (6)
Cut a long tail and attach yarn needle. Thread through remaining 6 loops and draw to close. Weave in ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment