Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tangy Tomato Soup

It's a nice lazy Sunday. I just want to throw things into a pot and do a whole lot of nothing. No shopping for fancy ingredients. I made this recipe based on items I happened to have on hand:

6 plum tomatoes
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with chilies
1 celery stalk
1/2 onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1.5 cups broth (I used chicken)
1/4 lemon, juiced
basil, (a handful)
1 tsp salt

Roughly chop the tomatoes, celery and onion. Place in pot, with crushed garlic clove and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to low and simmer for 15 min. Add broth and basil, simmer for another 5 min. Use an immersion blender, or pour into a blender/food processor and blend till smooth. Stir in salt and lemon juice. This recipe is going to vary depending how sweet your tomatoes are. If you find it too tangy, add a touch of sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Funny! I made tomato soup yesterday. It was the best I've made. I, on the other hand, had to go to the store for ingredients. Who has fresh tomatoes lying around in March?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to make bruschetta originally, but it was so cold in the apartment I changed my mind. I still remember when you made gazpacho for the first time in college. I actually think this recipe would taste pretty good cold too.

    ReplyDelete